Are you going through a storm in your life right now? Maybe it is a divorce, loss of a job, the illness or death of a loved one, or a health issue of your own. What lies inside of you as you ride this storm out?
Do you find you are stressed and feel out of control or do you sense the Lord God’s presence through it all?
“The Lord is my light and my salvation…whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life…of whom shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1
The statistics are high of those who have lost all hope and have decided it is better to drown in the storm and end their life than it is to go on. The suicide of Robin Williams was sobering for me because the ministry word for Robyn B Ministries is HOPE. There are so many drowning in storms today; some because of chemical imbalance, some from multiple circumstances that have built up over the years or some from addictions and other issues.
“I am confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” Ps. 27:13-14
On a practical level, if you are struggling today, here are some things that you might do to “nurture yourself” and get back on track:
1) Don’t isolate yourself. Reach out to someone you trust and be honest with them about what you are going through.
2) Go to a doctor, rule out the possibility of chemical imbalances and maybe seek treatment.
2) Call your church or one that you may be interested in, and ask for an appointment with a pastor or a church counselor.
3) Be aware of what you are inputting into your mind via t.v., movies, music, websites, or reading material. Is it encouraging you or keeping you down? Is it feeding your depression or anger?
4) Decide today that you are going to make a change. This is YOUR life and YOU get to decide how to live it. Ask God to show you the right steps, listen to what He puts in your mind, and take the steps.
Go to your Bible with a highlighter or pen and look at James 1:1-6. Highlight this passage and read it several times. Let this scripture calm your storm and surround you with still waters from the Word of God.
“Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial, because when they have stood the test, they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him.” James 1:12
If we can pray for you, please comment and let us know what is on your heart today. Let Jesus bring still waters to your storm.