It’s morning! Time to get up! Let’s go…Where’s the snooze button?!
How do you wake up in the morning? Do you wake up with dread or expectation? Do you think, “It’s a new day?” or do you slowly open your eyes and sadly say, “Ooooh, it’s another daaaay.”
To tell you the truth, I am not a morning person. I am definitely a night owl and always have been. I am at my best at around 11 am and beyond. I can even stay up all night if I am having fun, but rarely, and I do mean RARELY, do I see the sunrise. Actually, I do see the sunrise if someone posts it on Facebook. I put in my time when our kids were growing up; up at 6 am, fix breakfast, wake the kids and get them off to school. I don’t need to do that anymore, so…..I don’t.
Here are 5 ways to help you get up with a more positive attitude to begin your day:
1) Take a minute or two, before you get out of bed, to thank the Lord for who He is and what He has in store for you today. “This is the day the Lord has made. I WILL rejoice and be glad in it.” Psalm 118:24
2) Resolve in your mind that you are not going to dwell on what is wrong in your life until at least after breakfast. That might include not looking or listening to the news until later, if you know what I mean. In fact, resolve not to read the news until you have spent time in His Word reading about His perspective. “Do not conform any longer the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind…” Romans 12:2
3) Let the first things that come out of your mouth to someone be positive. No yelling, nagging or putdowns. Find the positive things in someone and encourage them. Refuse to engage in an argument. “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” Proverbs 15:1
4) No negative self-talk when you look in the mirror. You are alive and Jesus loves you. You are beautiful in His eyes. “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10
5) Make a mental note of what you can accomplish today. Yesterday is over and tomorrow can wait. Ask the Lord what He would want you to do to serve Him well, and then put feet to that prayer. ” What does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in His ways, to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul…”
Wake up! It’s a new day! You’ve got some important things to do!